Saturday 28 January 2017

A bay with 144 islands

A day of highs and a low moment for OF2.

Last night's BBQ turned into a disaster as I could not light the superdoopa machine.  If you failed it shut down for 5 minutes - 55 minutes later I admitted defeat as the pilot light came on for a second then faded.  OF1 was not happy with my technique and made lots of well thought through ideas (eg "have you turned on the gas?").  I was a little tetchy and eventually our lovely lamb was put in the microwave with.........awful results.  The hot water then ceased and OF1 accused me of wrecking that by continually trying to light the BBQ.  Not a laugh a minute evening but we remained calm(ish).  No hot water in the morning either....perhaps I did wreck it.

Today (Sunday) was a a ripsnorter.  We were on the quay for a 9am kickoff on our Bay of Islands Discovery.  The sun shone from a blue sky, complete with fluffy white clouds, and an azure, calm, sea.  We motored up through a selection of the 144 islands in the Bay of Islands (good name!).  Captain Gary was great fun ("you can tell where the toilets are, they have the word toilets on the door" was a typical piece of kiwi banter.  He was also a mine of information on history, biology and geology of the islands.  Suddenly we veered out to sea to go whale watching (Gary was only hoping for dolphins so this was an upgrade).  The large Bryce's Whale (pronounced 'brooders') was blowing every minute or so but not in a straight line so it was difficult to photograph but I do have some lovely images of splashes.  It was a memorable experience; Free Willie brought to life.

We then sailed through 'The hole in the rock' which was fun and to the island of Urupukapuka and the beach of Oneura (which you all know translates to Paradise Beach).  The next event on Paradise Beach was a bit like Death in Paradise and I was nearly the cadaver.  The tour folk ("Explore") had prepared a BBQ - they could light theirs - which was delicious.  I filled my plate and OF1 and I were returning to our shady seats (or seats in the shade) when I tripped over a small step.  It was like one of those films when the action goes into slow motion.  As 16 stone of me started for the ground a chicken leg, a sausage, a steak and three types of salad became airborne.  I eschewed possible life threatening injuries in order to catch most of my meal but only hurt my knees and wrist; however, most damage was sustained by my ego.  Disappointingly, there were no grazes, no fractures and no concussion.  In fact OF1 and a nice young man picked me up as I lay there poleaxed but trying to put the 5 second rule into practice to rescue the errant sausage..... lunch continued.  To her great credit OF1 didn't laugh until we sat down again.

In the afternoon we walked the local well marked tramping routes, climbing the hill to gaze down on idyllic coves.  We returned to our beach and both went swimming in the clear water - it was very chilly but refreshing.  A bit of a first, me going swimming but anything a whale can do......

Back on the boat we returned via the quaint town of Russell.  This was the old capital of New Zealand and at one time was nicknamed The Hell Hole because of the killings, brothels, drinking etc.  The British were summoned to sort it out, which they did.  It is now a tourist and retirement town which is lovely. We sat on the beach eating white chocolate & raspberry and hokey pokey ice creams in the late afternoon sun.

There is a ten minute ferry across the bay to return to our current base in Paihia.  We had just sat down when there was an enormous 'cruuump' behind us - a mother carrying a tiny baby had tripped over the step (seems like a theme).  I was on my feet like a modern day knight in white shining armour, picked up the baby and handed him/her over to Dad whilst other passengers helped Mum groggily to her feet.

We finished the day with a walk back to the apartment along a track that goes along the shore but covers the rocky bit at high tide - fantastic.  We got home to find cold water again so OF1 called the owner who came over and discovered that the gas had run out and changed cylinders. I feel exonerated of the unfair slur that it was all my fault.

Great news came via WhatsApp that Alex had successfully completed the Kolkata Marathon (3-21) and a quick congratulatory internet call confirmed he was tired but very chipper.  He has raised a substantial sum for Future Hope well done!

Tomorrow will be uneventful (thus no blog) as we drive from the Bay of Islands to the Coromondal - we put all our faith in Bin.......

No comments:

Post a Comment